If you are looking for an apartment you will need the following documents when submitting an application
Landlords require certain documentation to rent an apartment. In NYC their requirements are bit more strict than other areas of the country. Besides having good credit and making 40x the monthly rent, you will have to submit the following documents.
1. Photo identification (driver’s license, passport, etc.)
2. Letter from employer stating position, salary and length of employment (or start date if you have not yet started)
3. Last two pay stubs
4. Last two months’ bank statements
5. Name, addresses, and phone numbers of previous landlords
6. Last two years’ tax returns
7. Two personal reference letters
8. Two business reference letters
9. Verification of other assets such as real estate, securities, or any other income
I always recommend having a PDF version of everything together so you can quickly send it to a landlord if you are submitting an application. Some landlords are not as strict and don’t require everything mentioned below. 1-5 are always required, so make sure you have that prepared. As for the rest of the list, it would be in your best interest to have it readably available if needed. If you are renting in a co-op then be prepared to submit all the documents listed. They have very strict requirements and usually require a high application fee.